Michael Gaul, CTP
Years with Phoenix: 13
Years of Turnaround Experience: 13
Michael Gaul joined the Company in March 2003 and is a Senior Director of Phoenix Management Services with approximately 13 years of experience in financial and crisis management.
Mr. Gaul has served in interim management and advisory roles in a multitude of corporate environments – private, equity-sponsored, family-owned, start-up ventures. His extensive history working in the areas of turnaround management, financial forecasting, cash management, and corporate administration enable him to quickly identify clients’ operational challenges and work with our clients’ to develop effective turnaround strategies.
Mr. Gaul has experience in companies reorganizing under Chapter 11 protection of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. He is experienced with transactions involving Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code in which debtor companies transfer their assets to a buyer with speed, efficiency, and the approval of the Bankruptcy Court.
PHOENIX MANAGEMENT SERVICES ® EXPERIENCE
- Turnaround Management
- Crisis Management
- Interim Management
- Financial Forecasting
- Cash Management
- Strategic Advisory
- Bankruptcy Advisory
- Liquidation & Business Wind Down
- Due Diligence Reviews
SELECTED ADVISORY ASSIGNMENTS
- Served as Chief Financial Officer for an Agricultural Firm with revenue of approximately $80 million. As interim CFO, Mr. Gaul was responsible for reestablishing control over the Company’s financial function, managed the Company’s financial team, supported the Company’s executives, and guided the Company as it struggled with cash management and liquidity during a critical year-long reorganization.
- Served as Financial Advisor for a leading Manufacturer of Flat Bed Trailers with revenue of $75 million. Faced with an underperforming business operating under a forbearance agreement, the Company engaged Phoenix to facilitate its refinancing efforts and identify areas to improve efficiency. Mr. Gaul provided leadership and direction for senior management while coordinating cash flow management, strategic financial models, vendor management, as well as, inventory reduction strategies and implementation. Ultimately, the combined efforts of the Company and Phoenix resulted in increased, profitable production and the successful refinancing of the Company’s senior debt facility.
- Working with the Chief Restructuring Officer of Orleans Homebuilders, a $300 million company that markets, develops and builds high quality single family homes, townhouses and condominiums, Mr. Gaul was responsible for all treasury functions as well as performed a variety of financial, restructuring and other management services to this Company operating in bankruptcy. Orleans emerged from bankruptcy in less than a year, saving over 200 jobs and enabling more than 500 families to complete their homes that otherwise would have been left unfinished if the company had ceased operations.
- Served as Financial Advisor to a $45 million, privately-owned construction and engineering firm, providing cash flow and financial statement forecasting and cash management responsibilities; conducting project-level cash flow analyses to measure the accuracy of project estimates by individual employees and the Company in its entirety.
- Served as Financial Advisor to a $35 million, privately-owned electrical contracting firm, providing cash flow and financial statement forecasting; assisted Company in daily cash management responsibilities and communications with its senior lender and other external constituencies.
- Served as Financial Advisor to a $75 million importer and distributor of household products, providing cash flow and financial statement forecasting and cash management responsibilities; conducted various financial analyses of the Company’s business plan for the existing constituencies.
- Business Services
- Consumer Products
- Direct Marketing
- Food & Beverage
- General Building Construction
- Oil & Petroleum Distribution
- Private Equity Fund
PHOENIX CAPITAL RESOURCES TM EXPERIENCE
- Expansion / Growth Financing
- Select Buy-side Engagements
- Balance Sheet Restructurings
SELECTED CAPITAL ADVISORY TRANSACTIONS
- Served as a Financial Advisor to a family-owned printing-fulfillment company, leading to the expansion of its existing credit facility and, ultimately, the successful sale of the company.
- Served as a Financial Advisor to a private equity fund, completing a business assessment and financial review prior to the successful merger/acquisition of durable goods manufacturers with combined revenue of $65 million.
Prior to joining Phoenix, Michael was a equity research analyst at FleetBoston Robertson Stephens, the San Francisco-based investment bank, where he was part of the Specialty Finance group whose portfolio included the public non-bank financial companies and the public auto dealership companies. Before that, Michael was a senior credit analyst in the Specialty Finance Group of Fleet Bank, N.A, analyzing existing and prospective clients’ financial performance via their historical and forecasted operating results. He began his banking career at Sanwa Bank, where he completed Sanwa’s Credit Training Program and worked in the Bank’s Industrial Research Group.
EDUCATION / AFFILIATIONS
Mr. Gaul graduated from Georgetown University with a B.S. in Finance. In addition, he holds the Certified Turnaround Professional (CTP) designation from the Turnaround Management Association and he is registered with the National Association of Securities Dealers and holds his Series 7 and Series 63 licenses.